Breast surgery is the most popular form of plastic surgery in the United States. Breast augmentation can give you the size and shape you desire, and a breast lift can restore a youthful placement and contour for women who have breast ptosis (drooping). Our board-certified plastic surgeon is one of few women in the industry. Dr. Brenda Schiesel understands firsthand the many changes women's breasts go through as life changes and you get older.
If you’re interested in breast surgery or have questions, please contact Dr. Schiesel in South Tulsa, but in the meantime, we’ve compiled the pros and cons of the most common breast procedures—Breast augmentation and breast lift.
Pros of Breast Augmentation:
- Enhancing breast size can give you a better figure and more confidence including providing a proportionate body shape, correcting uneven breasts and congenital abnormalities that prevent breasts from fully developing during puberty.
- Natural looking results with saline or silicone implants or the newer fat transfer breast augmentation
- You have more enhancement options than ever before such as saline or silicone breast implants and fat transfer. You also have the choice of implant placement, incision site, and size.
Cons of Breast Augmentation:
- Breast augmentation is an invasive procedure that requires general anesthesia, and careful recovery, which means women with certain health conditions or who take blood thinners may not be candidates for breast enhancement.
- While implant ruptures, leaks, and capsular contracture are increasingly rare, these risks can still be a concern—You can mitigate the likelihood of these complications by choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon.
- Future pregnancies can significantly change your results, requiring breast revision surgery, though many women go on to breastfeed without issues after breast augmentation.
Pros of a Breast Lift:
- A breast lift can correct moderate to severe breast sagging that’s occurred due to rapid weight gain and loss or pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding.
- Breast lifts can be combined with a breast reduction or breast augmentation to create a youthful, perkier placement and shape.
- Improve self-esteem and body confidence by restoring femininity and comfort.
Cons of a Breast Lift:
- Older women or women with conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, or an autoimmune disorder have an increased risk of complications with anesthesia and slowed healing.
- There may be temporary or permanent loss of sensation in the nipples or breasts.
- Scarring from a breast lift is more significant than other breast surgeries because the procedure requires the removal of excess skin tissue and repositioning.
Schedule Your Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift Consultation
Contact our female plastic surgeon in Tulsa today at (918) 518-5144 to schedule your breast surgery consultation. Dr. Schiesel is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in breast augmentation and other cosmetic procedures. She can answer your questions and explain the preparation, surgery, and recovery details.
South Tulsa Plastic Surgery serves clients in surrounding areas of Oklahoma including Jenks, Broken Arrow, and Owasso.